Wegmans Nella Neeck shows you how to actually love veggies with this tasty, easy recipe. Your meat and potatoes family members will enjoy this one as well. The sauce tastes fresh. The spaghetti squash give you that comfort food feeling without all the calories. Definitely a keeper. This will warm you right up on a chilly fall or winter night.
1 Large, halved stem to blossom end, seeded
Extra virgin olive oil
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped
Crushed red pepper
1 Clove (5 gm), mince
14 Ounce, crushed with juices (San Marzano Tomatoes, (about 1 1/2 cups after blending))
Cracked black pepper
Pecorino romano cheese
4 Teaspoon, grated
12 Small, chiffonade
1. Place squash, skin side up (one half at a time), in microwave-safe dish; cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH, 10-12 minutes, until tender.
2. Let rest covered, 10-15 minutes, until cool enough to handle. Carefully remove plastic wrap to avoid steam.
3. Run tines of fork lengthwise over cut surface of squash to loosen spaghetti-like strands. Scoop out strands.
4. Heat oil in skillet on medium-low. Add onion and pepper flakes and cook 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent but not browned.
5. Add garlic; continue to cook another 2 minutes. Add rosemary and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. 6. Simmer on low 10 minutes. Remove and discard rosemary sprig.
7. Add spaghetti squash to sauce and toss quickly and gently to heat through.
8. Top each serving with 1/2 tsp cheese and garnish with basil.
For easier cutting, poke squash several times with fork. Place squash on microwave-safe plate; microwave on HIGH 7-8 min until squash begins to soften. Carefully remove; cut and cook as directed.