Shrimp Stuffed Yellow Squash
|Yellow squash||6 Medium|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Medium shrimp||1⁄2 Pound, unpeeled|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Soft breadcrumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried whole thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled cooked bacon||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fine dry breadcrumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon, melted|
1) Wash the squash.
2) In a pot, boil water and salt.
3) When boiling, add in the squash and cook for 8 minutes, or till tender, but firm.
4) Drain and allow to cool a little.
5) Trim off the stems.
6) Cut the squash in half lengthwise, and remove the pulp, leaving a firm shell.
7) Coarsely chop the pulp, and keep aside for later use.
8) Boil 1 1/2 cups water and add in the shrimp, and return to a boil.
9) Lower heat and allow to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
10) Drain the shrimp, and rinse with cold water.
11) When cool, peel and devein the shrimp.
12) Chop and keep aside.
13) In a pan, add 3 tablespoons butter and add the onion and garlic.
14) Saute till tender.
15) Add in salt, pepper, soft breadcrumbs, and reserved squash pulp.
16) Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, regularly stirring.
17) Turn off heat and cool.
18) Add in egg, parsley, thyme, bacon, and shrimp and mix well.
19) In a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish, arrange the squash shells.
20) Spoon in the shrimp mix into the shells.
21) In a bowl make a mix of dry bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon butter.
22) Add over each squash half.
23) Place in oven at 375° and bake for 25 minutes.
24) Arrange on a bed of lettuce and serve.