Butternut Squash Soup
|Butternut squash||3 Pound (1 whole)|
|Condensed chicken broth||21 1⁄2 Ounce, undiluted (2 cans, 10 3/4 ounce size)|
|Ground white pepper||1 Dash|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Bake whole squash about 1 hour until tender when pierced with a fork.
3. Let the squash cool slightly, cut in half lengthwise and discard seeds.
4. With a spoon, scoop squash pulp from the skin.
5. In electric blender, blend combining half of squash pulp and 1 can broth at low speed until well combined, then at high speed until smooth.
6. Turn into bowl and repeat with remaining squash and broth.
7. Stir in salt and pepper and refrigerate soup, covered, overnight.
8. Just before serving heat squash mixture just to boiling.
9. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup cream and cook slowly until heated through.
10. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if necessary.
11. Beat remaining cream just until stiff.
12. Serve soup very hot garnishing each serving with a spoonful of whipped cream.