Stuffed Marrow Squash
|Onion||1 , peeled, finely chopped|
|Bacon rashers||2 , rinds removed and finely chopped|
|Lean minced beef||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese||3 Ounce, finely grated|
|Long grain rice||4 Ounce, boiled and drained|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Egg||1 Small, beaten|
|Tomato sauce||4 Tablespoon (for serving)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Cut one end of the marrow and spoon out the seeds.
3) In a saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion and bacon for a few minutes.
4) Stir in the beef and stir until browned.
5) Mix in cheese, rice, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning and egg, and stir well to mix.
6) Stuff the beef filling into the marrow, and wrap in buttered foil.
7) Place on a baking sheet.
8) Bake in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the marrow is tender.
9) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Allow to cool and place in a freezer bag.
10) Seal, label and freeze the bag.
11) Cut into thick slice and serve hot with tomato sauce.
12) If using the frozen stuffed marrow, remove the foil and place on an ovenproof dish.
13) Reheat from frozen in a preheated moderate oven for 40 minutes or until heated through.
14) Serve as mentioned in step 8.