Butternut Squash Gratin
|Butternut squash||3 Pound (1 whole)|
|Milk||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed through a press|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°.
2) Cut the squash in half, along the length.
3) Discard the seeds and fibrous center by scraping with a spoon.
4) With a sharp knife, remove the skin and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
5) In a large saucepan, combine milk and 2 cups of water. Place the squash and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, nutmeg and garlic.
6) Place the saucepan over moderately high heat, and bring the liquid to a simmer.
7) Lower the heat and continue simmering for 4 minutes or until just tender.
8) Drain well.
9) In a shallow 2-quart buttered gratin or baking dish, transfer the squash.
10) Season the squash with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
11) Pour the cream on top and place inside oven to bake for about 20 minutes, until browned.
12) Serve hot, directly from the gratin dish.