Butternut Squash Gratin
|Butternut squash||3 Pound (1 whole)|
|Milk||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed through a press|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°.
2) Cut the squash in half, along the length.
3) Discard the seeds and fibrous center by scraping with a spoon.
4) With a sharp knife, remove the skin and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
5) In a large saucepan, combine milk and 2 cups of water. Place the squash and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, nutmeg and garlic.
6) Place the saucepan over moderately high heat, and bring the liquid to a simmer.
7) Lower the heat and continue simmering for 4 minutes or until just tender.
8) Drain well.
9) In a shallow 2-quart buttered gratin or baking dish, transfer the squash.
10) Season the squash with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
11) Pour the cream on top and place inside oven to bake for about 20 minutes, until browned.
12) Serve hot, directly from the gratin dish.
Calories 472 Calories from Fat 307
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g53.6%
Saturated Fat 21.3 g106.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 124.7 mg41.6%
Sodium 503.8 mg21%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.8%
Sugars 13.1 g
Protein 9 g17.7%
Vitamin A 508.8% Vitamin C 80.8%
Calcium 33.5% Iron 10%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet