Pickled Yellow Squash
|Cold water||2 Quart|
|Pickling salt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sliced yellow squash||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Green peppers||To Taste, chopped|
|Chopped white onions||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|White vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs) (5% Acidity)|
|Celery seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seed||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a large nonmetallic bowl, stir water and salt until well blended.
2. Place squash in salt mixture, cover and allow it to stand 2 hours.
3. Drain the squash through a colander and thoroughly rinse with cold water.
4. In a large bowl, combine squash, peppers and onions.
5. In a large Dutch oven (preferably enamelware) combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed.
6. Bring vinegar mixture to a boil over high heat, bring to a boil again adding vegetables.
7. Fill sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of tops, wipe jar rims and threads, quickly cover with lids and screw bands on tightly.
8. Process jars using water-bath method as directed by the USDA, 15 minutes.
9. When jars have cooled, check seals such that the lids are curved down or remain so when pressed.
10. Refrigerate all unsealed jars and use as desired.
Calories 682 Calories from Fat 6
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.68 g1%
Saturated Fat 0.05 g0.23%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1487.7 mg62%
Total Carbohydrates 171 g56.9%
Dietary Fiber 5 g19.8%
Sugars 157.2 g
Protein 4 g7.5%
Vitamin A 13.9% Vitamin C 73.9%
Calcium 10.9% Iron 8.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet