Curried Butternut Squash And Apple Soup
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Defatted chicken broth||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Use Either Homemade Or Canned)|
|Finely chopped onion||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Curry powder||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Butternut squash||3 Pound (Use 2 Medium Sized)|
|Granny smith apples||2 , peeled, cored, and chopped|
|Apple juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a medium size saucepan or stock pot, melt the butter
2. Add 1/4 cup chicken broth, onions, curry powder and sauté until well blended.
3. Cover, reduce heat and cook for about 5 minutes until the onions soft.
4. When onions are tender stir in remaining chicken broth, chopped squash and apples.
5. Heat until soup comes to a boil.
6. Reduce heat, partially cover the pan and let simmer, partially covered for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash and apples are soft and mushy.
7. Strain soup through a colander catching the stock into a large bowl and reserve it.
8. Tip the onion-squash-apple mixture into a blender or food processor jar along with a little of the cooking broth.
9. Blend into a silk smooth puree.
10. Pour puree back into saucepan.
11. Stir in the apple juice and reserved cooking liquid, adding according to preference of thickness of soup.
12. Season soup to taste and reheat.
13. Ladle the hot soup into warmed bowls or soup cups and serve immediately.
Calories 310 Calories from Fat 37
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.5%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g10.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.1 mg2.7%
Sodium 411.7 mg17.2%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.5%
Dietary Fiber 12.5 g50.1%
Sugars 24.9 g
Protein 9 g17.6%
Vitamin A 726.4% Vitamin C 130.1%
Calcium 28.3% Iron 28.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet