Sausage Stuffed Turban Squash
|Mild bulk sausage||1 Pound|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Commercial sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
1) Cut the small upper portion from the squash and cut down till the seeds.
2) Remove all seeds from the squash to make a cavity and discard the upper portion and seeds.
3) Season the cavity with salt.
4) Preheat oven at 375°.
5) In a bowl, add egg, sour cream, cheese and 1/4 teaspoon salt to combine together.
6) Use a 9-inch square baking pan to place the squash by keeping the open part downwards.
7) Pour water to fill the pan till 1 inch.
8) Place the baking pan inside the oven and bake for an hour or until it becomes tender.
9) In a heavy skillet, add sausage, celery and onion to cook for 5 minutes, for preparing crumbled sausage.
10) Add 1/2 cup mushrooms to the skillet.
11) Cook all together until the meat turns brown. Drain the excess liquid.
12) Pour in the egg mixture to sausage mixture and mix thoroughly.
13) Spoon this mixture into the cavity of squash.
14) Place the stuffed squash, in upright position, into the baking pan with reserved water.
15) Place the pan inside oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes.
16) Garnish the baked and stuffed squash with parsley and mushrooms, before serving.