Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
|Grated fresh lemon peel||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. Cut squash into halves lengthwise and scoop out seedy centers. Place cut side down in baking dish and pour in boiling water to a 1/2-inch depth. Bake at 400°F 20 minutes.
2. Pare, core, and dice apples; mix with lemon peel and juice, 2 tablespoons butter, and brown sugar.
3. Invert squash halves and brush with remaining 2 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with salt and cinnamon.
4. Fill squash halves with apple mixture. Pour boiling water into dish to a 1/2-inch depth; cover and bake 30 minutes.
5. Before serving, spoon pan juices over squash. If desired, garnish with apple and lemon slices.