Stuffed Butternut Squash
|Butternut squash||2 Medium|
|Noodles||1 Cup (16 tbs), broken|
|Sausage meat||1 Pound|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Water/Broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to moderate (375° F.).
2. Cut each squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and fibers. Place, cut side down, in a baking dish, add about one-quarter cup water and bake until just tender, thirty minutes or longer.
3. While squash is baking, cook the noodles according to package directions and drain. Brown sausage meat and pour off excess fat. Mix the flour with the sausage, add the water or broth and heat to boiling. Add the noodles.
4. Mix the sugar, mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Brush the cut surfaces of the squash halves with sausage fat and sprinkle with half the sugar mixture. Pile the sausage mixture into the squash and sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture.
5. Return to the oven and bake fifteen minutes.