Ok, I know that in many households saying the word “brussel sprout” is equivalent to saying a curse word. Many people when they were younger were force-fed over cooked, mushy, no-flavored brussel sprouts as some sort of cruel and unusual punishment. Well, not anymore people!!!! This is such an amazing recipe that even the people that hate brussel sprouts will love this. Caramelizing them in the oven gives them the most delicious flavor, then mixing them with maple bacon and shallots, are you kidding me?!
Salt and pepper
Maple bacon strips
3 , sliced
1 , finely chopped
Red pepper flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Cut the bacon in slices and finely chop the shallot.
3. With sharp knife, cut off the ends of sprouts and peel and discard the top layer of the leaves.
4. Cut the sprouts in half and put in a bowl.
5. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper over the sprouts and toss to coat.
6. In a foil lined baking sheet, put the sprouts, place it in oven and allow to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the sprouts caramelise and turn golden brown.
7. In a pan over medium high heat, sauté the bacon until it renders and turn golden brown in colour.
8. Using a paper towel, soak most of the fat from bacon and discard.
9. In the same pan with bacon and little fat, add the shallots, allow to cook for 1 minute or so.
10. Add in salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and the cooked brussel sprouts and toss well to mix.