|Short grain rice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (16 ounces)|
|Soybean sprouts||453 Gram|
|Beef||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), ground|
|Soy sauce||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Black peppercorn||1 Pinch, ground|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic clove||2 Medium, minced (for the sauce)|
|Green onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped (for the sauce)|
|Korean red pepper flakes||2 Teaspoon (for the sauce)|
|Honey||1 Teaspoon (for the sauce)|
|Onion||1 Tablespoon, chopped (for the sauce)|
|Green chili||1 Tablespoon, chopped (for the sauce)|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon, roasted (for the sauce)|
To make the rice :
1. Add 1 cup of short grain rice to a heavy bottomed pot. Rinse in cold water and drain.
2. Scrub the wet rice by hand about for about 10 seconds.
3. Rinse, drain, then scrub, rinse and drain 3-4 times, until the water becomes clear.
4. Tilt the pot and pour out as much water as you can such that the rice is still wet.
5. Add 1 cup of water to the rice, close the lid and let it soak at least 30 minutes with the lid closed.
To make soybean sprouts :
6. Take the soybean sprouts out of the package and put them in large bowl with water.
7. Rinse and drain a couple of times to clean thoroughly.
8. Pick out some brownish rotten beans, drain and set aside.
9. Season ground beef (or chopped shiitake mushrooms)
10. Prepare about ½ cup ground beef (4 ounces: 113 grams) and put it in a bowl.
11. Mix well with a spoon adding 1 teaspoon soy sauce, a pinch of ground black pepper and 1 teaspoon sesame oil and set aside.
To make the sauce:
12. In a bowl mix well combining all these ingredients- 1/3 cup soy sauce, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 stalk of chopped green onion, 2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 tablespoon chopped onion, 1 tablespoon chopped green chili pepper and 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds.
13. Cook 2 (or more depending on the number of people) eggs sunny-side up and set aside.
14. After the rice has soaked for 30 minutes, add the soybean sprouts and the seasoned ground beef over top.
15. Close the lid and bring to a boil over medium high heat for 10 minutes.
16. After boiling, turn it over with a rice scoop and mix all the ingredients well.
17. Lower the heat and simmer for another 10 minutes with the lid closed.
18. Transfer it to a serving bowl placing the sunny side egg on top and garnish with radish sprouts (muwoo soon).
19. Serve with the sauce and sesame oil on the side so that people can adjust the dish to their personal taste.
Calories 450 Calories from Fat 161
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g28.6%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 119.4 mg39.8%
Sodium 1294.4 mg53.9%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.3%
Sugars 2.2 g
Protein 31 g62.8%
Vitamin A 21.7% Vitamin C 51.5%
Calcium 14.5% Iron 37.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet