|Fresh spinach/Frozen chopped spinach - 1 package of 8 ounces||1 Pound|
|Margarine/Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 , finely minced|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||10 Tablespoon (1/2 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Ground nutmeg||1 1⁄2 Pinch (A Good Pinch)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Tablespoon|
|Margarine||1 Teaspoon (For Greasing)|
1) In case fresh spinach is being used, rinse it thoroughly and take off the stem and central midribs.
2) In a saucepan, put the spinach with only the water that clings to the leaves and sprinkle with some salt.
3) Cover the pan and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, till the spinach is cooked, occasionally stirring.
4) Drain the spinach well and press out the excess water, if any. Chop the spinach.
5) In case frozen spinach is being used, cook it as per the directions given on the package.
6) Liberally butter 4 individual 1 ¼-cup souffle dishes.
7) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
8) In a large saucepan, melt the margarine and add the onion. Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes till the onion is tender and lightly colored.
9) Sprinkle in the flour and stir the contents over low heat for about 2 minutes till straw-colored.
10) Take the pan off the heat and stir in the milk very gradually.
11) Put the pan back over medium heat and gently simmer, stirring well, till thick.
12) Take the saucepan off the heat and beat in the egg yolks. Then beat them into the spinach mixture.
13) Beat the egg whites till they are stiff and standing in peaks. Gently fold the eggs into the spinach mixture.
14) Into the greased souffle dishes, pour the mixture and sprinkle the top evenly with the grated Parmesan cheese.
15) Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, till the tops are risen and light brown in color. When done, the souffle should be firm to touch on the outside but still damp in the center.
16) Place the freshly baked souffles on a serving plate and serve right away, while still piping hot. These make an excellent appetizer.
Calories 286 Calories from Fat 176
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.4%
Saturated Fat 5.2 g25.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 218.5 mg72.8%
Sodium 336.7 mg14%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.4%
Sugars 4.4 g
Protein 13 g26.8%
Vitamin A 229.2% Vitamin C 57.4%
Calcium 23.3% Iron 24.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet