Mussel Saffron Soup with Caramelized Onions and Garlic Croutons
|For caramelized onions|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For garlic croutons|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm) (A Few)|
|Baguette slices||12 (Thinly Sliced, Cut On The Diagonal)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon (Or As Required)|
|Herbes de provence||2 Tablespoon (Or As Required)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mussels||36 , scrubbed clean, beards removed|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, minced|
|Onion||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), finely chopped|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Tomato puree||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Saffron threads||1 Pinch|
1) Caramelized onions: Slice 2 large onions crosswise into thin rings.
2) In a heavy skillet, saute the onions in 4 tablespoons butter over a medium-low heat until the soft and lightly browned.
3) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
4) Garlic croutons: Rub cut garlic cloves on both sides of 12 pieces of thinly sliced baguette.
5) Brush the slices with oil and sprinkle with herbes de Provence.
6) Toast in the preheated oven until crisp.
7) Soup : In a wide shallow pot, bring the wine to a simmer
8) Add the mussels, cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until the mussels open; then remove from heat.
9) Keep the mussels aside, strain and reserve the cooking liquid.
10) In the same pan, saute the garlic in oil until the mixture just begins to brown.
11) Stir in the onion and saute until tender.
12) Pour in the reserved mussel cooking liquid, chicken stock, cream and tomato puree; bring the mixture to a boil.
13) Stir in saffron and season with salt and pepper.
14) When ready to serve, add the mussels and 1/2 cup caramelized onions into the broth and bring to a boil.
15) Ladle the Mussel Saffron Soup with Caramelized Onions into wide shallow bowls and serve with Garlic Croutons .
Calories 792 Calories from Fat 454
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g79.1%
Saturated Fat 25.6 g128.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 165.8 mg55.3%
Sodium 1119.8 mg46.7%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.5%
Sugars 7.3 g
Protein 24 g47.7%
Vitamin A 34.1% Vitamin C 36.8%
Calcium 12.8% Iron 31.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet