New England Crullers
|Flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Fat||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for deep frying)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Combine and sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
2) In a bowl, add the shortening and sugar and cream till light.
3) Beat in the eggs.
4) Add in the flour mix alternating with milk and mix till it hold together.
5) Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
6) Knead lightly.
7) Roll out to a 1/2 inch thick.
8) Cut into 8 x 3/4-inch strips.
9) Fold each strip.
10) Twist and firmly press the ends together.
11) In a skillet, add deep fat and heat.
12) Drop the shaped dough into the fat and fry for about 3 minutes, turning once.
13) Drain and coat in sugar.
14) Serve as a snack.