Vegetables with Saffron Rice
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Ground turmeric||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Pound, scraped and sliced diagonally|
|Uncooked regular rice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Powdered saffron||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Frozen peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. In a medium skillet heat vegetable oil over medium heat until hot, sautÃ© chopped onion and next 5 ingredients until onion is tender and set aside.
2. In a large Dutch oven bring water to a boil and stir in sliced carrots, rice, reserved onion mixture, salt and saffron.
3. Reducing heat to medium, simmer with cover for about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in english peas and simmer with cover an additional 10 minutes or until rice is render.
5. Remove and discard bay leaf.
6. Transfer rice mixture to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
Calories 220 Calories from Fat 37
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.4%
Saturated Fat 0.56 g2.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 201.9 mg8.4%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.2%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 6 g11.5%
Vitamin A 203.5% Vitamin C 18.7%
Calcium 5.5% Iron 10.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet