Traditional Wassail Bowl
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole ginger piece||1 , broken|
|Cinnamon piece||3 Inch (1 Number)|
|Lemon rind||1 (Of 1 Whole Fruit)|
|Ale||36 Ounce (3 Cans, 12-Ounces Each)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Wash apples and place in baking dish.
3. Roast in the preheated oven 45 minutes.
4. In a pan combine water, sugar, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, coriander seed, cardamom, mace and lemon rind, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
5. Pour sherry and ale into spice mixture, heat to just under boiling point but do not boil and strain.
6. In a bowl beat egg whites until stiff.
7. Beat yolks until thick and stir beaten whites into yolks.
8. Beat constantly slowly adding spice mixture to eggs.
9. Pour into silver or heatproof punch bowl, float roasted apples on top and serve hot.