|Sifted flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Powdered anise||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped candied orange peel||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 275° F.
2. Prepare a mixture of flour with cinnamon, anise, orange peel, and walnuts.
3. Cook sugar with water until it reached thread-like consistency or a candy thermometer reads 230° F.
4. Take off from heat and add flour mixture, beating continuously until thoroughly blended.
5. Transfer to a lightly floured board, cool, and then, knead thoroughly. Add water, if the dough is very firm.
6. Roll out into 1 ½ inch circle with ¼ inch thickness.
7. Arrange the circles in a baking pan greased with oil and dusted with flour and bake for 35 minutes or until the outer side hardens, while retaining the inner softness.
8. Serve Anise Cakes warm with vanilla ice cream topped with butterscotch sauce.