Veal Scallops with Saffron Apples
|Tart apples||2 Pound (4 Medium Sized Ones, Preferably Northern Spy, Cortland, Or Granny Smith)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Saffron threads||1 Teaspoon|
|Veal scallops||1 1⁄2 Pound (12 Scallops)|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Dredging)|
|Unsalted butter||6 Tablespoon, clarified|
|Dry white wine/Dry white vermouth||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Veal stock/Chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), canned (Preferably Homemade, Or Canned)|
|Creme fraiche/Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven moderately to 200 degrees.
2) Squeeze out a lemon and reserve 2 teaspoons juice.
3) Cut apples in halves, core and cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges.
4) Skin and mince shallots to measure 1/4 cup.
5) Peel and chop garlic.
6) In large mixing bowl combine together apples, lemon juice, shallots, garlic, and saffron and toss well.
7) Team veal from fat and with a wooden mallet or rolling pin flatten without pounding and make uniform thickness of about 1/4 inch.
8) In pie pan put 1/2 cup flour and dredge veal scallops on both the sides. Discard excess flour and keep aside in flat plate.
9) In large heavy-gauge skillet, heat 3 to 4 tablespoons clarified butter over medium-high heat.
10) Add scallops each at a time in the skillet without overcrowding and fry 2 to 3 minutes on each side on high heat till to brown. Add more clarified butter if required. Fry remaining scallops in similar pattern.
11) Transfer scallops to heatproof serving platter and keep warm in oven.
12) To prepare the sauce, pour out fat and butter from the skillet and add 1/3 cup wine and deglaze pan over medium-high heat. Cook for 2 minutes till liquid reduces to 2 tablespoons.
13) Pour in veal juices or chicken stock. Cook on high heat fir 2 minutes till sauce reduces to 1/4 cup.
14) Mix in creme fraiche or heavy cream to the stock and cook for 3 to 5 minutes till sauce thickens.
15) Combine apple mixture to the sauce and stir on reduced heat until apples are heated through for about 2 minutes.
16) Pour sauce on the veal scallops, decorate with apples, and serve immediately.