Spinach and Saffron Risotto
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Thyme leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Arborio rice||10 Ounce (300 Gram)|
|Boiling chicken/Vegetable stock / water||1 Liter (1 3/4 Pint)|
|Spinach leaves||12 Ounce, washed (375 Gram)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Ounce, finely grated (50 Gram)|
|Parmesan cheese shavings||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
1. Put the saffron threads into a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 30 minutes-2 hours to plump up and for the water to turn bright golden yellow.
2. Put the onion into a large saucepan with the olive oil and fry gently for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Add the crushed garlic and cook gently for 1-2 minutes, then stir in the thyme leaves, rice and pepper.
3. Add half of the boiling stock to the rice with the saffron and soaking water and bring back to the boil. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring constantly, over a fast simmer. Continue adding the hot stock as the rice begins to dry out until it has been used and the rice is soft and tender to the bite.
4. Roughly tear the spinach leaves, and stir into the risotto until the spinach has wilted. Season.
5. Remove from the heat. Add the extra virgin olive oil and the grated Parmesan cheese. Cover the pan with a lid and stand for 5 minutes before serving.