|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (divided)|
|Anise extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Orange peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Self rising flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Ice water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line bottom of 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with wax paper or parchment paper; set aside.
2. In medium mixing bowl combine egg yolks and half of the sugar; using electric mixer, beat until thick and lemon colored, about 3 minutes. Beat in extract and orange peel; set mixer on low speed and gradually beat in flour and water, beating just until combined. Set aside.
3. In separate bowl, using clean beaters, beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of beaten whites into yolk mixture to loosen batter, then fold in remaining whites, 1/3 at a time.
4. Pour batter into paper-lined pan and, using a spatula, smooth top; bake until top is browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Remove pan from oven and reduce oven temperature to 250°F. Using a knife or metal spatula, loosen edges of cake from pan; invert cake onto wire rack. Peel off paper and set cake right-side up on cutting board; cut into 4 equal sections, then cut each section in half and each half into 4 equal slices.
6. Arrange slices on cookie sheet and bake until golden and crisp, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.