Toasted Anise Bars
|Eggs||6 , separated|
|Cream of tartar||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (firmly packed)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Anise seeds||2 Tablespoon|
1. Beat egg whites until foamy in large bowl of electric mixer at high speed; add cream of tartar; beat until double' in volume; add granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue forms stiff peaks.
2. Beat egg yolks and brown sugar until thick and light in small bowl of mixer at high speed. Fold egg yolk mixture into meringue with a wire whip until well blended.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into egg mixture; add anise seeds; fold into mixture with wire whip until well blended.
4. Grease and flour a 15x10x 1-inch jelly roll pan; tap out excess flour; spread batter in prepared pan.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 20 minutes, or until center springs back when lightly touched with fingertip. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
6. Cut layer in half and remove; split each half crosswise with a serrated knife, then cut into 2 1/2 x 1 inch bars, to make 60 pieces.
7. Arrange bars, cut-side up, in a single layer on a large cookie sheet and in jelly roll pan.
8. Bake in moderate (350°) 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Remove from pan to wire racks with spatula; cool completely. Store in container with a tight-fitting lid.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2368 Calories from Fat 324
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g56%
Saturated Fat 9.8 g48.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1268.9 mg423%
Sodium 2763 mg115.1%
Total Carbohydrates 464 g154.6%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g37.8%
Sugars 302.7 g
Protein 62 g124.8%
Vitamin A 31.1% Vitamin C 10.5%
Calcium 75.2% Iron 144.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet