Vegetable Barley Paella
|Pearl barley||1 Cup (16 tbs), well rinsed|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Peas||1 Cup (16 tbs) (fresh or frozen)|
|Roasted red pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into 1/2-inch strips|
|Artichoke hearts||1 Cup (16 tbs), quartered (canned or frozen)|
|White wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Smoked paprika||1 Teaspoon|
|Black beans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cooked, rinsed (Optional)|
|Fresh parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped finely|
|Green pea||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
2. Rinse barley until the water runs clear. Drain, and set aside.
3. Place an oven safe pan on medium flame. Drop barley, and onion in it. Stir frequently, and toast barley for 5 minutes.
4. Add water, smoked paprika, and turmeric. Stir until the yellow color of spices is dispersed. Pour olive oil, reduce the flame, cover, and cook for 25 minutes.
5. Throw capers, artichokes, red pepper, and black beans into the pan.
6. Pour white wine, and give it a good stir. Cover with lid.
7. Pop the pan in oven, and bake for 15 minutes.
8. Remove the lid, stir in peas, and bake for additional 5 minutes.
9. Garnish with fresh parsley, and serve paella hot.
Stir barley frequently so that it does not burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
Calories 394 Calories from Fat 79
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.3%
Saturated Fat 0.75 g3.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 143.1 mg6%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.6%
Dietary Fiber 13.3 g53.2%
Sugars 8.2 g
Protein 13 g26.9%
Vitamin A 38.2% Vitamin C 95%
Calcium 10.9% Iron 21.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet