Vegetarian Garbanzo Stew (Chickpea)
|Garbanzo bean||12 Ounce, soaked overnight|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red onion/White onion||1 Small, chopped finely|
|Scallions (green and white)||2 Medium, chopped (reserve green part for garnish)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Cumin||1 Tablespoon, ground|
|Bell pepper||1 Small, cored, chopped finely|
|Chilli pepper||1 Small, seeded, chopped finely (Optional)|
|Celery||1 Small, chopped (stalk and leaves)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, diced|
|Sweet potato||1 Small, peeled, diced|
|Oregano||1 Tablespoon, crushed|
|Black pepper||2 Teaspoon|
1. In a pot put the garbanzo beans and cover them with water. Add the tomato paste and mix well.
2. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.
3. To a skillet add the olive oil and heat. Add the onion and scallions.
4. Cook for about 8 minutes until onions are translucent and soft. Add the garlic, mix and cook for about 1 minute until it starts to smell. Put the cumin and mix well.
5. Cook for a couple of minutes and add the bell pepper, chili pepper (if using), celery, celery leaves and parsley. Continue cooking for a couple of minutes.
6. Put the tomatoes and allow them to stew for about 5 minutes. Transfer the contents of the skillet into the pot with the garbanzos.
7. Add the sweet potato, crushed oregano, salt and pepper to the pot.
8. Stir well and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the beans are softened and the sweet potato is completely cooked through.
9. In a serving plate, serve the stew with a side of brown/ white rice and a garnish of scallion greens.
Calories 317 Calories from Fat 82
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.6%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 690.1 mg28.8%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g16.1%
Dietary Fiber 13.8 g55%
Sugars 9.7 g
Protein 13 g26.7%
Vitamin A 94.3% Vitamin C 52.7%
Calcium 16.3% Iron 42.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet