This one pot meal idea is one of the easiest chicken casserole recipes to make because all of cooking happens on the stove top instead of in the oven. Chipotle peppers and chili powder add irresistible flavor to this Spanish Chicken and Rice Skillet Casserole recipe from Anne Colagioia. In the world of healthy chicken recipes, this gluten free offering is one of the best options for quick weeknight cooking.
1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into strips
Birds eye frozen pepper stir fry vegetables
Minute brown rice
3 Cup (48 tbs) (uncooked)
2 Cup (32 tbs)
Canned tomatoes flavored with spicy red peppers
1 Cup (16 tbs)
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
3 , diced (optional) (Optional)
1⁄2 Tablespoon, chopped (for garnish)
1. In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, chili powder and salt and pepper. Set it aside.
2. In a large skillet over a medium high heat, pour in olive oil add the marinated chicken, sauté for 6 minutes.
3. Add the bag of frozen pepper stir-fry mix, sauté for another 2 minutes, continuing to stir.
4. Stir in the chicken broth, rice, diced tomatoes and the chipotle peppers.
5. Bring the mixture up to a boil, cover the skillet and reduce the heat to low.
6. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Turn off the heat and let it stand covered for 5 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed.
8. Fluff with a fork, and garnish with cilantro and serve.
If you are following a gluten free diet, be sure to use gluten free chicken broth in the recipe. You can easily change the veggies or flavor profile of this dish to suit your tastes but be sure to keep the ratio of rice and liquid ingredients the same so that the rice will cook properly.