Spicy Beef Tongue Stew (Aji De Lengua)
|Beef tongue||1 , trimmed|
|Celery stalk||1 Medium|
|Carrot||3 Small (2 cut into half and 1 cut into sticks)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), peeled, smashed|
|Fresh thyme sprigs||4 Medium|
|White onions||1 1⁄2 Small, cut into half|
|Chilli pepper||1 Medium, cut into half|
|Red chillies||6 (aji Colorado or aji Panka)|
|Salt||2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Canola oil||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Peas||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), thaw if frozen|
1. Rinse the trimmed beef tongue and place it in a pressure cooker.
2. Add the celery, onion, carrot, garlic cloves, thyme and chili pepper.
3. Cook for about 1 hour – after the pressure cooker starts making noise.
4. While the tongue is cooking stem the dry chili pods.
5. Cut them in the middle and seed them. Char them by placing them directly on an open flame. If you do not have a gas stove, go ahead and press them down on a dry, hot skillet until they blister.
6. Place the charred chilies in a bowl and cover with water.
7. Soak for about 25 to 30 minutes. Once soaked, place them in a blender with the remaining onion, garlic and cumin.
8. Add about 1 cup of the soaking liquid and blend until you have a smooth paste with no chili chunks.
9. Once the tongue is cooked, cool down the pressure cooker completely and remove them. Do not discard the cooking liquid.
10. Cool them down and peel them by pulling off the skin and membrane on the meat. If the meat is not completely tender put them back in the pressure cooker and cook them a little longer. Once peeled, slice them thinly on the bias.
11. Into a large skillet or pan, add the canola oil. Heat it well and add the blended chilies.
12. Mix the oil and chilies until they are uniformly blended into each other.
13. Wash out the remaining chilies in the blender with some water and add them to the pan.
14. Cook the chilies for about 10 minutes.
15. Add the peas and carrots to the chilies and mix well. Cook for about 6 more minutes.
16. Return the sliced tongue to the pan and mix to coat all the pieces.
17. Strain about 1 ½ cups of the tongue cooking liquid and add it to the pan.
18. Mix well, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 20 more minutes.
19. In a serving plate, serve with rice, boiled potato and chuño*.
* Chuño is a black, dehydrated potato from the Andes. It is re-hydrated and cooked with egg and cheese.