A wonderful, diabetes-friendly recipe from Brenda Ponichtera, RD.
3 (7 1/2 inch)
Canned refried beans
16 Ounce (vegetarian)
Canned green chilies
4 Ounce, diced
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced
Reduced fat cheddar cheese
4 Ounce, grated
1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch pie dish with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Cut 2 tortillas in the center. Set aside.
3. Into the pie dish, arrange the halved tortilla on the edge so that the rounded edge is around the rim.
4. Place the 3rd tortilla right at the center of the pie dish.
5. Spread the vegetable refried beans evenly over the tortillas and then top the beans with mild chilies, then onion and finally cheese.
6. Mix the egg substitute and milk and pour it over the top of the quiche.
7. Finish it with a sprinkle of paprika.
8. Pop the dish in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Let the dish stand for about 10 minutes before cutting into 8 wedges.
10. Serve this delicious and healthy Spanish quiche with a tossed salad.