Puchero - Spanish Meat And Bean Stew
|Lima beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (As Required)|
|Cooked ham||1 Pound, 1 inch pieces|
|Pork shoulder||1 1⁄2 Pound, cooked and in 1 inch sizes|
|Hot water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Bacon strips||6 , chopped and cooked|
|Onions||4 Medium, chopped|
|Green pepper||1 Medium, seeded and chopped|
|Chopped celery||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Cabbage head||1 Medium, chopped|
1. In a dish, combine beans and water to cover and soak overnight or quick-soak.
2. Do not drain.
3. In a large pan, melt butter.
4. Brown ham and pork in butter for 10 minutes.
5. Add hot water, lemon juice, and pepper.
6. Simmer 1 hour.
7. Add next 5 ingredients and undrained beans.
8. Simmer 30 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender.
9. Add cabbage and continue to cook on low heat for 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
10. Remove bay leaf and discard.
11. Serve puchero immediately.