|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Boneless stew beef||2 Pound, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes|
|Dried chickpeas||1 Pound, soaked overnight|
|Onions||3 , peeled and sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and minced|
|Tomatoes||2 , stemmed and quartered|
|Parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), minced|
|Ham cubes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken wings/2 wings plus backbone and neck||4|
|Carrots||4 , peeled and diced|
1) Place a large skillet over high heat and heat the oil.
2) Brown the beef well on all sides. Transfer it to a bowl.
3) Into the still hot skillet, pour 1 cup of water and scrape up all the pan juices.
4) Turn the liquid into a slow cooker along with all the other ingredients. Top with the browned beef.
5) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, till the chickpeas are soft. In case the chickpeas absorb all the liquid and are not tender, add ½ cup of water and continue to cool. When the cooking is done, usually lots of rich sauce is left behind.
6) Before it is time to serve remove and discard the ham bone.
7) From the chicken bones, dice the meat into the Cocido. Discard the bones. In case the sauce appears too thin, pour it into a small skillet and gently simmer over moderate-high heat, stirring, till thickened.
8) Transfer the hot preparation to a decorative serving plate and serve while piping hot. Makes a good main course dish.