|For rich shortcrust pastry|
|Plain flour||6 Ounce|
|Ground almonds||4 1⁄2 Teaspoon (3 Rounded Dessertspoons)|
|Caster sugar||9 Teaspoon (6 Dessertspoon)|
|Vanilla essence||3 Drop|
|Cold water||3 Tablespoon|
|Jam||7 1⁄2 Tablespoon (5 Heaped Tablespoons, Preferably Plum, Gooseberry, Damson Etc)|
|Egg white||1 , lightly beaten|
|Caster sugar||2 Tablespoon (For Dusting)|
1) Prepare the pastry.
2) Take two-thirds of the dough and roll out to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness.
3) Use the dough to line the flan ring and fill with jam.
4) Using the remaining dough, roll out to a round and place over the top of the stuffed flan ring.
5) Fold down and press the edges and with the point of a knife, in a cart-wheel-fashion, mark the surface with the point of a knife.
6) Place at 400°F or Mark 6 in oven for 30-35 minutes.
7) After the first 15 minutes, lower the heat to 375°F or Mark 5.
8) A few minutes before the oven time ends, use some lightly beaten egg white to brush the top.
9) Immediately sprinkle caster sugar on the top and place in the oven for about 2 minutes.
10) Serve hot or cold.