Meaty Basque Vegetable Soup
|Dry navy beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Broiler fryer chicken||3 Pound (1 no.)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Polish sausage||12 Ounce, sliced|
|Leeks||2 , sliced|
|Carrots||2 Medium, sliced for 1 cup|
|Cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs), coarsely shredded|
|Potato||1 Medium, peeled and cubed for 1 cup|
|Turnip||1 Medium, peeled and cubed for 1 cup|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped for 1/2 cup|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, snipped|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
1. Combine beans and water; soak overnight.
2. Rinse beans and place in a large saucepan with water; bring it to boil.
3. Remove from heat; cover and let it stand for 1 hour; do not drain.
4. Add chicken pieces and salt; bring it to boil.
5. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for another 1 hour.
6. Remove chicken from bean mixture.
7. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard skin and bones from chicken; cut up the chicken.
8. Stir the chicken into the into bean mixture along with sausage, leeks, carrots, cabbage, potato, turnip, onion, garlic, parsley, and thyme.
9. Simmer for another 30 minutes more or till vegetables are tender.
10. Ladle the Meaty Basque Vegetable Soup into individual bowls.
11. Sprinkle with croutons and serve hot.
Calories 1242 Calories from Fat 691
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 77 g118%
Saturated Fat 23.6 g118.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 314.7 mg104.9%
Sodium 1781.6 mg74.2%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17%
Dietary Fiber 12.6 g50.4%
Sugars 10.3 g
Protein 85 g170.6%
Vitamin A 149.1% Vitamin C 83.4%
Calcium 21.6% Iron 56.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet