Meaty Basque Vegetable Soup
|Dry navy beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Broiler fryer chicken||3 Pound (1 no.)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Polish sausage||12 Ounce, sliced|
|Leeks||2 , sliced|
|Carrots||2 Medium, sliced for 1 cup|
|Cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs), coarsely shredded|
|Potato||1 Medium, peeled and cubed for 1 cup|
|Turnip||1 Medium, peeled and cubed for 1 cup|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped for 1/2 cup|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, snipped|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
1. Combine beans and water; soak overnight.
2. Rinse beans and place in a large saucepan with water; bring it to boil.
3. Remove from heat; cover and let it stand for 1 hour; do not drain.
4. Add chicken pieces and salt; bring it to boil.
5. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for another 1 hour.
6. Remove chicken from bean mixture.
7. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard skin and bones from chicken; cut up the chicken.
8. Stir the chicken into the into bean mixture along with sausage, leeks, carrots, cabbage, potato, turnip, onion, garlic, parsley, and thyme.
9. Simmer for another 30 minutes more or till vegetables are tender.
10. Ladle the Meaty Basque Vegetable Soup into individual bowls.
11. Sprinkle with croutons and serve hot.