Basque Style Chicken Breasts
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Skinless chicken breasts||4|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed with 1/2 tsp salt|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (For Crushing With Garlic)|
|Red pepper||1 , cored, seeded and cut into rings|
|Green pepper||1 , cored, seeded and cut into rings|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce (397 Gram)|
|Tomato puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Chicken stock||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Chopped fresh rosemary/1 teaspoon dried||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh thyme/1 teaspoon dried||2 Teaspoon|
1) In a large flameproof casserole, fry chicken breasts in oil over moderate heat and turn regularly till brown.
2) Place fried chicken on plate, loosely covered, and keep aside.
3) In the leftover oil in the casserole, add onion and fry lightly till transparent.
4) Mix in the garlic and red and green peppers and fry.
5) After 2-3 minutes add in the tomatoes with their juice, tomato puree, chicken stock and brandy and boil.
6) Lower the heat and add the herbs and seasoning and add the fried chicken back in the pan.
7) Without covering the casserole, gently simmer for 45 minutes till the sauce reduces and chicken is cooked through.
8) To freeze for up to 2 months, cool and transfer to a sealable foil container.
9) To serve after freezing, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
10) Heat in a casserole in a 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4 oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
11) Serve on a bed of hot steamed rice or boiled new potatoes and a simple salad.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1760 Calories from Fat 643
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 73 g111.8%
Saturated Fat 11.6 g58.1%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 402.6 mg134.2%
Sodium 2136.5 mg89%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g22.9%
Dietary Fiber 18.3 g73.1%
Sugars 17.6 g
Protein 174 g347.8%
Vitamin A 165.7% Vitamin C 597.5%
Calcium 35.5% Iron 82.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet