Ham And Vegetable Paella Pie
|Plain pastry||1⁄2 Pound|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon (For Greasing)|
|Swiss cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, finely sliced|
|Leek||1 Medium, finely sliced|
|Carrot||1 Small, shredded|
|Tomato||1 Medium, deseeded and chopped|
|Asparagus stalks||2 , thawed if frozen, cut in 1-inch pieces|
|Ham fat slices||1⁄4 Pound|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Dash|
1. Line with pastry a buttered 7-inch deep spring form cake pan.
2. Chill while preparing cheese dice and vegetables.
3. Cut ham into short thin strips.
4. In a frying pan, cook ham strips over low heat until fat runs freely.
5. Add prepared onion, leek, carrot, tomato and asparagus, and stir for 3 minutes until vegetables are coated with fat and beginning to wilt.
6. Take the pan off the heat and cool while preparing custard.
7. Combine milk and cream for custard in a jug.
8. Beat in eggs.
9. Set oven to heat to 350°F.
10. Scatter the cheese dice over the base of the chilled pastry case.
11. Add bacon and vegetables. Spread them evenly, and season well.
12. Pour custard mixture over bacon and vegetables.
13. Bake for 1 1/4 hours.
14. Cool 5-10 minutes.
15. Remove pie from cake pan, and slide it onto a warmed platter for serving hot. Alternatively cool in the pan completely, and serve cold.