|Clams in shell||12|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Frying chickens||2 , cut into serving pieces and skinned|
|Lean pork||2 Pound, cubed|
|Onions||3 Large, finely chopped|
|White rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Raw long grain white rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsalted chicken stock||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Powdered saffron||1 Teaspoon|
|Shelled peas||2 Cup (32 tbs) (or use 2 pounds, unshelled)|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, diced|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), freshly grated|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pimientos||4 Ounce, cut|
|Pimientos||4 Ounce, cut into juliennes (1 jar)|
1) Gently shell the shrimp. Do not remove the tails.
2) Then, remove the vein by using a small sharp knife. Make a slit down the back of each shrimp to do this. If there're any left oven bits of veins, use the point of knife to scrape them out.
3) With cold water, wash thoroughly. Keep aside.
4) With a stiff brush, scrub the clams until they are clean. Keep aside.
5) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
6) In a large heavy iron skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil.
7) To the hot oil, add garlic.
8) To this, add the chicken pieces and pork cubes.
9) Saute until the meat is cooked and turns golden brown on all sides. Keep the cooked meat aside.
10) In a 14-inch paella pan or skillet, heat the remaining olive oil. You can also use a heavy casserole or roasting pan, at least 3 inches deep.
11) To this, add the onions and rice.
12) Cook for about 15 minutes until the onion is soft and the rice is browned lightly, stirring in between.
13) Meanwhile, bring the chicken stock to a boil.
14) To this, add the wine.
15) Using a mortar and pestle, crush the saffron and paprika together.
16) To the boiling stock, add the crushed mixture.
17) Now, to the rice and onions, add the stock mixture. Mix well.
18) Bring this to a boil.
19) On top of the rice, arrange the browned chicken pieces and pork cubes.
20) On top, scatter the peas and tomatoes evenly.
21) On top, sprinkle Parmesan cheese.
22) Now, on top, arrange the clams and shrimp.
23) On the floor of the oven, keep the pan and bake, uncovered, for 25 to 45 minutes. All the liquid should be absorbed by the rice by now. Check if the rice is soft and if the clams are open. Never stir the paella after it is put into the oven.
24) After the paella is done, remove it from the oven.
25) With a towel, loosely cover the pan and let stand for 5 minutes.
26) Serve hot.
Calories 1367 Calories from Fat 634
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 71 g108.5%
Saturated Fat 19.5 g97.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 404.2 mg134.7%
Sodium 542.6 mg22.6%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.5%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 6.3 g
Protein 115 g229.5%
Vitamin A 30.8% Vitamin C 63.5%
Calcium 16.3% Iron 51.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet