Chicken with Spanish Rice
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Long grain rice||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Chicken stock||3⁄4 Pint|
|Tomatoes||15 Ounce (425 Gram)|
|Pepper||To Taste, milled|
|Pepper||To Taste, freshly milled|
|Sugar||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Castor sugar||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Frozen peas||5 Ounce (1 Small Packet)|
1) Trim the chicken legs and remove any loose skin.
2) Cut each one in half through the leg joint to make two pieces.
3) Peel and slice the onion.
4) Halve, deseed and shred the green peppers.
5) In a large frying pan, melt the butter, add the chicken pieces and fry gently for about 5 minutes browning on both sides.
6) Lift the pieces from the pan and place in a large casserole dish.
7) In the frying pan to hot fat, ddd the sliced onion and green peppers cover and fry gently for about 5 minutes until the onion is softened.
8) Add the rice, stir to mix with the vegetables and then stir in the hot stock.
9) Add the tomatoes and liquid from the tin.
10) Season well with salt and freshly milled pepper and add the sugar.
11) Let the mixture boil, then remove from heat and spoon or pour over the chicken joints.
12) Cover the casserole and place in the centre of a moderate oven (350°F, 180°C or Gas No. 4) and cook for 1 hour.
13) After 45 minutes, give the contents of the casserole a stir and add the peas.
14) Cook until rice absorbs all the liquid.
15) Check the seasoning and allow to cool.
16) Spoon into a suitable container, cover and freeze.
17) To serve: Thaw for 3-4 hours at room temperature.
18) Place in a casserole set in the centre of a moderate oven (350°F, 180°C or Gas No. 4) and cook for 30-35 minutes to heat through.
19) With a fork, stir the ingredients and serve hot.
Calories 528 Calories from Fat 163
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28.3%
Saturated Fat 9 g45.2%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 140.4 mg46.8%
Sodium 393.3 mg16.4%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.4%
Sugars 11.4 g
Protein 36 g71.3%
Vitamin A 43.9% Vitamin C 87.9%
Calcium 5.5% Iron 16.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet