Stuffed Spanish Onions
|Spanish onions||3 Medium (Medium Sweet, 3- To 4-Inch Diameter Each)|
|Frozen broccoli||10 Ounce, chopped, cooked according to package directions (2 Cup)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||3 Ounce|
|Reduced calorie mayonnaise||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Reduced-calorie margarine||2 Tablespoon (From A Tub)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Skim milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shredded monterey jack cheese||3 Ounce|
1) Preheat the oven to 375Â°F.
2) Peel and halve each onion through the stem ends.
3) In a 4 quart saucepan, bring the water to a boil, add onions and simmer on a low heat for 10 to 12 minutes, until the onions are tender, drain well.
4) Scoop out the onion pulp, keep the thick shells aside and chop 1 cup onion pulp.
5) In a medium mixing bowl, mix the onion pulp, broccoli, Parmesan, mayonnaise and lemon juice, mix well and keep aside.
6) In a 10-inch skillet, heat the margarine until hot and bubbly, stir in the flour and salt.
7) Gradually stir in the milk, bring to a boil, then simmer on a low heat, stirring frequently until smooth and thickened.
8) Stir in the Monterey Jack cheese, stir constantly and cook until melted.
9) Stuff the shells with the onion mixture and place in a 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish, pour over the sauce and sprinkle with the paprika.
10) Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly.
11) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.