Molded Spanish Cream
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon (1 1/2 Envelopes)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Milk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh fruit||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Whole Strawberries, Halved Orange Slices, Mango Or Papaya Slices)|
1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, add 1/4 cup sugar, gelatin, and salt.
2. Blend in the egg yolks and milk.
3. Place pan on a low flame and cook custard mixture without boiling, stirring constantly, until it coats the back of the spoon and leaves a tail.
4. Take pan off the heat and allow the custard to cool slightly then stir in the vanilla extract.
5. Cover the pan and place in the refrigerator to chill until thickened.
6. In the meantime, add egg whites to a clean dry bowl and whisk with an electric beater until foamy.
7. Gradually add remaining sugar, while beating continuously until the foam stands in stiff peaks.
8. Gently fold this meringue mixture into the cooled custard without beating.
9. Turn into an oiled 1 1/2 -quart Charlotte mold or into any decorative mold and place the refrigerator to chill and set.
10. To unmold, dip the mold in a bath of hot water for a few seconds, then place a serving plate over the mold and turn over. Give a sharp tap.
11. Decorate with fresh fruit if desired.
Calories 178 Calories from Fat 50
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.5%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 115.2 mg38.4%
Sodium 160.9 mg6.7%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.14 g0.55%
Sugars 22.9 g
Protein 9 g18.9%
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 4.1%
Calcium 12.3% Iron 3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet