|Black beans||1 1⁄2 Pound, dried, rinsed, then soaked overnight in water to cover|
|Pork knuckle||1 Pound (1 Piece)|
|Slab bacon||8 Ounce, rind discarded, cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|Polish kielbasa||8 Ounce, cut into 2 inch lengths|
|Spicy frankfurters||8 Ounce|
|Sausages||8 Ounce, uncooked (Such As Bratwurst)|
|Westphalian ham||12 Ounce, lightly smoked, cut into 2 thick slices|
|Pork belly||1 Pound|
|Boneless pork chops||1 1⁄2 Pound, smoked boneless, or more if you are serving more than 8, each chop halved|
|Onions||4 Medium, chopped|
|Orange||1 , halved|
|Black pepper||To Taste, coarsely ground|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm), coarsely chopped|
|Red bell pepper||1 Large, stemmed, seeded, and cut into small dice|
1) Drain the beans and rinse them.
2) Take a very large heavy casserole and place the beans in it.
3) Stir in all the meat, half the chopped onions, the orange, bay leaves, and black pepper.
4) Soak the ingredients in about 1 inch of water and then allow it to come to a boil, removing any scum that rises to the top.
5) Lower the heat to medium-low and uncover and simmer the mixture for about 1 1/2 hours until the beans are soft and meats are cooked well.
6) In the meantime, in a large non-stick skillet, over low heat, heat olive oil and sauté remaining onions, garlic, and bell pepper in it for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are wilted.
7) Keep aside the cooked vegetables.
8) Take a large bowl and transfer the cooked meat to it, covering the bowl to keep the meat warm.
9) Take off the orange halves.
10) In a food processor, puree 1 cup of beans mixture with on and off pulses.
11) Mix the puree with the remaining beans mixture and then add in the cooked onion mixture, stirring well.
12) Cook the beans until done.
13) In a large, decorative, rustic serving bowl, arrange the meat and spoon over the beans. Beans can be served directly from the casserole too.
14) Serve at once.
Calories 1277 Calories from Fat 594
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 66 g102.2%
Saturated Fat 21.4 g106.9%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 238.8 mg79.6%
Sodium 1674.1 mg69.8%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23%
Dietary Fiber 15.8 g63%
Sugars 9.8 g
Protein 99 g197.1%
Vitamin A 13.5% Vitamin C 155.6%
Calcium 31.6% Iron 45.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet