Paella For Eight
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon (Twice Around The Pan)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|White rice||2 Cup (32 tbs), enriched|
|Saffron threads||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaf||1 (Fresh Or Dried)|
|Chicken broth||1 Quart (Stock)|
|Fresh thyme sprig||4|
|Chicken tenders||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into thirds|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Red bell pepper||1 , seeded and chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Chorizo||3⁄4 Pound, casing removed (if preferred) and sliced on an angle|
|Large shrimp||1 Pound, peeled and deveined (About 24 Shrimp)|
|Mussels||18 , cleaned (Green-Lipped, If Available)|
|Peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), frozen|
|Fresh flat leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Scallions||4 , chopped|
1. In a preheated very wide skillet or paella pan over medium-high heat sauté crushed garlic, red pepper flakes and rice in 2 tablespoons olive oil for 2 or 3 minutes.
2. Then add saffron threads, bay leaf, broth, and thyme and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Cover with lid or foil and reduce heat to simmer.
4. In a separate nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, brown chicken on both sides in about 1 tablespoon olive oil and season chicken with salt and pepper.
5. To the pan add red bell pepper and onion and cook for 3 minutes more.
6. Add chorizo, cook for another 2 minutes and remove pan from heat.
7. After about 13 minutes, to the paella pan add shellfish, nesting them in the cooking rice.
8. Pouring in peas, scatter lemon zest over the rice and seafood and cover the pan again.
9. Uncover after 5 minutes and discard any unopened mussels.
10. Stir rice and seafood and lift out bay leaf and thyme stems, now bare of their leaves.
11. Around the paella pan arrange cooked chicken, peppers, onions and chorizo.
12. To serve top with parsley and scallions and accompany wedges of lemon and warm bread.