Spanish Stuffed Onions
|Onions||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled (4 Large Ones)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lean ground beef||1⁄2 Pound|
|Canned tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Cooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Shredded cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a 2-quart casserole, place onions and water.
2. Cover the casserole.
3. Cook on High for 8 to 9 minutes until onions are just about tender.
4. Drain water.
5. Scoop out centres of onions, leaving walls about 1/3-inch thick.
6. Chop enough onion pulp to make 1/2 cup.
7. In a 1-quart casserole, combine onion pulp with ground beef.
8. Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Drain off excess fat.
10. Add half of the tomato sauce and all remaining ingredients except cheese; stir to mix.
11. Stuff onions with beef-rice mixture, mounding high on top.
12. In a 1-quart casserole, place stuffed onions.
13. Add remaining mixture in dish around onions.
14. Pour remaining tomato sauce over stuffed onion.
15. Cook on High for 6 minutes.
16. Sprinkle cheese on top.
17. Continue to cook on High for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese melts.
18. Serve hot.