Spanish Chickpea Soup
|Boneless smoked bacon hock joint||1 1⁄2 Pound (750 Gram, 1 Small Size)|
|Onion||1 , studded with 4 cloves|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Fresh thyme sprig/1/4 teaspoon dried thyme||1|
|Fresh marjoram sprig||1|
|Fresh parsley sprig||1|
|Chicken stock||3 Pint (1.8 Liter)|
|Canned chickpeas||14 Ounce, drained (1 Can, 400 Gram)|
|Potatoes||12 Ounce, diced (375 Gram)|
|Savoy cabbage||10 Ounce, shredded (300 Gram)|
1. In a deep saucepan add bacon joint, cover the lid with cold water over it and bring it to a boil.
2. Thereafter remove the bacon, drain it discarding the water and add it back to the empty pan.
3. To it add onion, garlic, herbs and 1.8 litres / 3 pints water and bring it to boil.
4. Lower the heat and let it simmer for about 11/2 hours covering partially.
5. From the stock discard the onion and herbs and remove the bacon joints, cut it into small pieces and keep aside.
6. To the stock add chickpeas, potatoes and cabbage and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Then add the bacon pieces and let it cook for more 10 minutes.
8. Serve piping hot after seasoning with salt and pepper by ladling the soup into bowls.