Microwave Vegetarian Spanish Rice
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Green pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Required)|
|Canned stewed tomatoes||16 Ounce, chopped and drained with liquid reserved (1 Can)|
|Long grain rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Use a medium size (2-quart) microwaveable casserole or dish, to melt and heat the butter in the microwave for 1 minute.
2. Add the onion and green pepper to the butter and cook for 2 minutes, stirring once, until limp.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, rice and seasonings coating them with butter.
4. Measure the reserved tomato liquid, adding water to equal 2 cups and add to the vegetables and rice.
5. Cover the dish with a glass lid or with plastic wrap and return to the microwave.
6. Cook rice for about 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir once halfway through cooking time.
7. Allow the dish to stand covered for 5 minutes so that the flavors are absorbed.
8. Serve the rice straight from the casserole and accompany with a hearty stew.