Basque Style Chicken
|Smoked ham/Streaky bacon||6 Ounce, diced (175 Gram)|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Chicken pieces||4 Large|
|Onions||4 , sliced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Green peppers||2 , deseeded, diced|
|Dried marjoram||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned tomatoes/Fresh tomatoes||14 Ounce (425 Gram)|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon (To Garnish)|
1. In a sauté pan, fry the diced ham or bacon in the oil such that lightly brown and transfer to a serving plate using a slotted spoon.
2. To the pan add chicken, let it cook such that golden brown and keep aside.
3. To the empty pan add the onions and garlic and cook gently until soft and golden.
4. Then add the peppers and marjoram, cook with cover gently for about 10 minutes and keep aside.
5. To the pan add tomatoes, seasoning and stock (300 ml / 1/2 pint if using fresh tomatoes; 150 ml / 1/4 pint of canned).
6. Add back the chicken and ham and let it simmer with cover for 40-45 minutes, such that the chicken is cooked and tender.
7. Take a serving dish and place the chicken in it.
8. Let the sauce in the pan boil to thicken slightly and pour over the chicken.
9. Sprinkle the chicken with parsley and serve.