Piperade Stuffed Tomatoes
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Bacon slices||2 , chopped|
|Shallot||1 , finely chopped|
|Bell pepper||1 Small, diced (Red / Green Variety)|
|Green bell pepper/Red bell pepper||1 Small, diced|
|Eggs||4 , slightly beaten|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Lettuce head||1 Small (For Serving)|
|Head of lettuce||1 Small (To Serve:)|
1. To prepare the tomatoes, slicing the tops off tomatoes reserve them for lids.
2. Using a grapefruit knife or spoon, out centers of tomatoes, chop centers and set aside.
3. On a plate place the tomato cases, cut-side down, to drain.
4. In a medium saucepan melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine and saute bacon, shallot and bell pepper for 5 minutes.
5. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes such that reduced to a thick puree, stirring occasionally.
6. In another saucepan, over medium heat melt remaining butter or margarine, pour in eggs and cook gently, stirring with a wooden spoon, such that eggs are scrambled.
7. Into scrambled eggs stir tomato mixture, season with salt and pepper and cool to room temperature.
8. Filling tomato cases with cool mixture replace lids.
9. To serve separate lettuce into leaves , arrange them on a serving plate and place stuffed tomatoes on lettuce.
Calories 488 Calories from Fat 308
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g53.8%
Saturated Fat 18.1 g90.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 485.2 mg161.7%
Sodium 458.7 mg19.1%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.7%
Dietary Fiber 9.9 g39.6%
Sugars 14.6 g
Protein 21 g42.5%
Vitamin A 524.8% Vitamin C 269.5%
Calcium 21% Iron 32.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet