Mom'S Classic Paella
|Saffron threads||1 Teaspoon|
|White wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken liver||250 Gram|
|Chourico/Pork / chicken sausages||250 Gram|
|Sole||500 Gram, filleted and skinned (Sea Sole)|
|Medium prawns||1 Kilogram|
|Canned clams||100 Gram|
|Canned mussels||100 Gram|
|Canned scallops||100 Gram|
|Olive oil||100 Milliliter|
|Onions||5 Medium, sliced|
|Garlic head||1 , peeled and chopped|
|Arborio/Carnaroli / sela basmati rice /parboiled rice||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Red bell peppers||3 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Shelled green peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), boiled|
|Spring onions||150 Gram, sliced on the slant|
|Black olives||24 , seeded|
1. In a frying pan, lightly broil the saffron on a very low flame, until they turn darn and fragrant.
2. Remove into a small mortar and crush into a powder.
3. Transfer to a small bowl and soak in wine for 30 minutes or more to be used later.
4. Blanch tomatoes in boiling water till the skin begins to rupture
5. Drain and peel the tomatoes.
6. Cut tomatoes into half and scoop out the seeds and pulp and discard. Chop into small dices and keep aside in a bowl to be used later.
7. Wash chicken wings and drain.
8. Remove wing tips and discard or use to make stock.
9. Joint the wings and place in a bowl.
10. Season with salt and set aside.
11. Wash and drain chicken livers and chop into half.
12. Season with salt and set aside in a bowl.
13. Slice sausages and ham and set aside in a bowl.
14. Cut fish fillets into 1-inch cubes.
15. Shell and clean and de-vein the prawns.
16. Drain clams, mussels and scallops and set aside reserving the liquid.
17. Wash rice and drain well.
18. In a large heavy bottomed skillet, heat oil over a medium flame.
19. Add the chicken wings and sauté until evenly browned.
20. Using a slotted spoon remove into a bowl and set aside.
21. In the same pan, add chicken liver, sausages and ham sautéing for 2 minutes until browned. Remove and set aside.
22. Further add the fish and prawns and toss until tender. Remove into the bowl and set aside.
23. To the pan juices and fat, add onions and garlic and fry till onions are soft and translucent.
24. Stir in the saffron- wine and rice and bring to a boil.
25. Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté with rice until soft and the liquid evaporates.
26. Pour into the pan, half the stock and the reserved mollusks liquid and stir the rice till all the liquid is absorbed.
27. Ladle stock, little at a time, stirring frequently till the rice is tender.
28. When rice is cooked, add together the meats, vegetables, clams, mussels, scallops and olives and paprika.
29. Lightly mix into the rice.
30. Reduce the heat and cover the pan. Allow the paella to simmer for 5 minutes. Then switch off the flame and allow the rice to stand in the covered pot for 5 minutes until all the flavors are absorbed.
31. Serve piping hot from straight from the pot.