Spanish Baked Tomatoes
|Whole grain rice||6 Ounce (175 gram)|
|Vegetable stock||1 Pint (600 milliliter)|
|Sunflower oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Shallots||2 , peeled, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Green pepper||1 , deseeded and cut into small dice|
|Red chilli||1 , deseeded and finely chopped|
|Button mushrooms||2 Ounce, finely chopped (50 gram)|
|Chopped fresh oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Ripe tomatoes||4 Large|
|Egg||1 Large, beaten|
|Caster sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Basil leaves||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
|Crusty bread||1 (for serving)|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ Gas Mark 4. Place the rice in a saucepan, pour over the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender. Drain and turn into a mixing bowl.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil to a small non-stick pan and gently fry the shallots, garlic, pepper, chilli and mushrooms for 2 minutes. Add to the rice with the chopped oregano. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
3. Slice the top off each tomato. Cut and scoop out the flesh, removing the hard core. Pass the tomato flesh through a sieve. Add 1 tablespoon of the juice to the rice mixture. Stir in the beaten egg and mix. Sprinkle a li.ttle sugar in the base of each tomato. Pile the rice mixture into the shells.
4. Place the tomatoes in a baking dish and pour a little cold water around them. Replace their lids and drizzle a few drops of sunflower oil over the tops.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes. Garnish with the basil leaves and season with black pepper and serve immediately with crusty bread.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1235 Calories from Fat 274
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46.4%
Saturated Fat 7.3 g36.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg70.5%
Sodium 1710.9 mg71.3%
Total Carbohydrates 210 g70.2%
Dietary Fiber 22.5 g90%
Sugars 30.8 g
Protein 35 g70.6%
Vitamin A 173.8% Vitamin C 397.3%
Calcium 23.6% Iron 52.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet