Pastel De Pollo
|Red bell peppers||8 Ounce (2 Large Ones)|
|Green bell peppers||8 Ounce (2 Large Ones)|
|Skinless boneless chicken breasts||3⁄4 Pound|
|Skinless boneless chicken thighs||3⁄4 Pound|
|Whole eggs||2 Large|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Tabasco/Hot pepper sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced or crushed through a press|
|Thinly sliced scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pitted ripe olives||2 Ounce (18 Whole Black Ones)|
1. Roast the peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler as close to the heat as possible, turning with tongs until charred all over. Place in a plastic bag, twisting the top to enclose them and put in the refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes. Working over a colander, peel the peppers by rubbing the skins away under gently running water. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise; remove and discard the seeds, ribs and stems. Keeping the red and green peppers separate, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly coat a 9-by-5-by-3 inch loaf pan with nonstick vegetable spray, or lightly oil. Line the pan with aluminum foil so the edges overhang the long sides by 1 inch. Spray or oil the foil. Choose a shallow roasting pan slightly larger than the loaf pan to act as a water bath.
3. Cut the chicken breasts and thighs into 3/4-inch cubes. Reserve 1/2 cup of each. Finely grind the remaining chicken in a food processor or meat grinder.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the whole eggs with the egg yolks. Whisk in the flour, cream, cumin, nutmeg, pepper, Tabasco and garlic. Stir in the ground chicken, reserved cubed chicken, the scallions and black olives. Season with salt to taste.
5. Spoon 1 cup of the chicken mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Arrange 1/4 of the pepper strips lengthwise over the chicken, making 5 rows and alternating red and green (for the remaining layers, alternate the pattern). Repeat, making 5 layers of chicken sandwiched with 4 layers of peppers. Set the loaf pan in the larger pan and add hot water to reach up the sides of the loaf pan by 1 or 2 inches. Bake for about 1 hour, or until golden brown on top and set. Let cool to room temperature on a rack. Chill for several hours or overnight. Invert the loaf onto a rectangular serving platter and peel off the aluminum foil. If desired, decorate the top with lemon slices. To serve, cut into 12 slices and spoon 2 tablespoons of the Tomato Yogurt over each.