|Chicken wing drumettes||10|
|Pork short ribs||1 Pound (Have Your Butcher Cut The Ribs Into 1" Sections, Crosswise Cutting The Bones)|
|Shrimp||1⁄2 Pound (With Shells)|
|Scallops||3 Large, cut in half (Or 6 Small)|
|Tomato frito/Tomato sauce or tomato puree||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm) (Minced Or Chopped)|
|Piquillo peppers||6 , sliced into strips (Plus A Few Strips Reserved To Use As Garnish)|
|Peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Green beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut into 1" sections|
|Saffron threads/To tsp. powdered||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Paella rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shellfish broth/Substitute chicken broth or bouillon.||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
We find this recipe to be ideal for a 40cm (16 inch) pan - serves about 9.
- For a 32cm (13 inch) pan, divide the recipe by half - serves about 5.
- For a 50cm (20 inch) pan, multiply the recipe by two - serves about 14.
- For a 70cm (28 inch) pan, multiply the recipe by three - serves about 25.
Prep Time/ Cook Time:
35 minutes preparation, 35 minutes cooking (cooking time may vary depending on the type of burner/stove/oven you are using)
Tips for Beginners:
- Have your ingredients cleaned, chopped, and measured in individual bowls so that you may add them quickly when the recipe is cooking.
- Be sure to use a big enough burner or stove for your pan. Ideally, you wand a medium-low flame that is dispersed over the entire bottom of the pan.
- Cooking times are approximate; lower heat = longer cooking time, higher heat = faster cooking time (but at the risk of burning.)
- The amount of liquid to add to the rice varies depending on the rice variety and the other ingredients you have added to the paella. When the cooking is half way done, feel free to add a little more liquid to the pan if the rice seems too dry.
- If the rice doesn't seem to be cooking properly around the edges because the burner/stove you are using is just a little too small, you may partially cover the edges of the pan to help retain heat and ensure even cooking.
Each region of Spain has their own unique variation of Paella, so feel free to experiment. Journey to the mountainous regions by adding chorizo, rabbit, or judion beans; journey to the coast by adding squid or langostino (lobster); or discover your own favorite by experimenting with smoked paprika, onions, or even vegetarian.
1) Boil the mussels and clams in 6 cups of water until the shells start to open. Drain, reserve the liquid, and discard any unopened shells.
2) Add the Olive Oil to the Paella Pan and Sauté the Chicken Wings and Pork for 2-4 minutes under medium-high heat.
3) Add the Tomate Frito, Piquillo Peppers, and Garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes more.
4) Add the Rice and stir the mixture to coat, about 1 minute.
5) Add the Peas, Green Beans, Shrimp, Scallops, and Saffron. Stir under medium heat for 1 minute to incorporate the mixture.
- Tip From Yaya's Kitchen: Be sure to crush the saffron threads to release the flavor before adding. Also keep in mind that saffron releases it's flavor with heat, so be sure to add it while the paella is cooking.
6) Add the hot Shellfish Broth (recipe is listed above) to the Rice Mixture (add 6 cups if using Bomba Rice, otherwise add 4 cups.)
- Tip From Yaya's Kitchen: From the point of adding the Hot Shellfish Broth and the liquid coming to a boil, the total cooking time to completion of the recipe will be about 12-15 minutes (it may take a few minutes longer for deep pans, if using a small burner/stove, or if using a slow-cooking rice such as Bomba.) Do not stir after this point, and control the heat so the bottom is not scorched.
7) Add Salt to taste (it is best to add less at first, as the seafood releases salt while cooking.)
8) Arrange the Mussels, Clams, and the Piquillo Peppers reserved as garnish onto the surface of the paella.
9) Continue cooking until rice is almost done, but still firm in the center (Al Dente.)
10) Garnish with lemon wedges and enjoy the best Paella of your life!
Calories 784 Calories from Fat 347
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g59.6%
Saturated Fat 9.4 g46.8%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 202 mg67.3%
Sodium 626.1 mg26.1%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.6%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.3%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 58 g115.6%
Vitamin A 7.3% Vitamin C 31.2%
Calcium 8.6% Iron 60.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet