Basque Steamed Mussels
|Red bell peppers||2 1⁄2 Pound (5 In Number)|
|Green bell pepper||1⁄2 Pound (1 In Number)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bottled clam juice/Fat-skimmed chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Habanero vinegar/Hot sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Mussels||6 Dozen, beards pulled off, scrubbed (3 Inch Each)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1. Place red and green peppers in a 10-by 15-inch pan. Broil about 4 inches from heat until pepper skins are charred and blistered all over, turning as needed, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool. Pull off and discard skins, stems, and seeds. Chop red and green peppers separately.
2. In a food processor or blender, puree 3/4 of the red peppers until smooth.
3. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, combine 1 teaspoon olive oil and the garlic. Stir often until garlic is limp,
about 1 minute. Add onion, clam juice, wine, 1 teaspoon habanero vinegar, and red pepper puree. Cover and bring to a boil.
4. Discard any gaping mussels that do not close when shells are tapped. Add mussels to pan, cover, and cook until shells pop open, 5 to 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer mussels to wide bowls.
5. Add chopped green and red peppers to broth; bring to a boil. Add parsley and season mixture to taste with salt and more habanero vinegar. Ladle over mussels. Drizzle each serving with olive oil to taste.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1831 Calories from Fat 409
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g69.1%
Saturated Fat 6.5 g32.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 322.5 mg107.5%
Sodium 5642.7 mg235.1%
Total Carbohydrates 151 g50.3%
Dietary Fiber 31.6 g126.4%
Sugars 62.5 g
Protein 159 g318.2%
Vitamin A 826% Vitamin C 2970.5%
Calcium 59.1% Iron 300.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet