Spaghetti With Eggplant Sauce And Meatballs
|To make the meatballs :|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole wheat bread slices||2 , crumbled|
|Ground beef||1⁄2 Pound|
|Finely chopped onions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped green pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Ground pepper||1 Dash|
|Eggplant||1 1⁄2 Pound, unpared and cut in 1 -inch cubes (1 Egg Plant, 1 To 1 1/2 Pound)|
|Finely chopped onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Dry red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried oregano leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Thin spaghetti||1 Pound, cooked as label directs|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Salad oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
To Make Meatballs:
1. In medium bowl, beat egg slightly and mix well adding milk and bread.
2. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
3. Add rest of meatball ingredients and mix until well blended.
4. Shape into 24 balls-€”1 inch in diameter.
5. In 2 tablespoons oil in 5-quart Dutch oven, saute meatballs, turning until browned-€”about 10 minutes.
6. Remove from Dutch oven and set aside.
To Make Eggplant Sauce:
7. In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat and cook eggplant cubes, onion, garlic and parsley until onion is transparent and tender-€”5 minutes.
8. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, oregano, salt and sugar and break up tomatoes with fork.
9. Add meatballs and simmer with cover reducing heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. Serve over drained spaghetti.